Many businesses are at risk from employee theft, criminal break-ins and intellectual property theft. As a business owner or professional office manager, what can you do to make sure your office workplace is as secure as it can be?
10 Workplace Security Tips To Improve Your Office Security
Follow these 10 workplace security tips to secure your office from internal and external threats and you could save on huge losses.
1. Verified Alarm System.Install a Verified Alarm System to ensure quick police response times to catch criminals in the act. Because of the ability to verify alarms, Sonitrol has the highest criminal apprehension rate and the lowest false alarm rate in the industry.
2. Integrated Security System.Install an Integrated Security System that is unique to your office needs. SonaVision, Central Monitoring, CCTV, Access Control Management and Audio Intrusion Detection. There are many customizable options and variations available.
3. Employee Screening Policy.Protect your business from employee theft by implementing a hiring screening policy that includes criminal record checks and reference checks. Ask for copies of any relevant certifications or credentials.
4. Employee Access Control.
Implement a managed access control system with keyless entry to track and restrict who goes where and when. This will also allow you to easily disable access if an employee loses their card or no longer works for your company.
5. Employee Training.Create and implement an in-depth training program on workplace safety and security, including how to properly lock up documents, protect passwords and secure the building. Also include your policy on employee theft and confidentiality agreements.
6. Lock-up Server Room.Restrict access to your server room to those who have passed an in-depth security clearance, and use an access control management. Also, ensure your server room location cannot be accessed through neighbouring business’ common walls ie it should be in the middle of your facility..
7. Use a fire and security rated safe.
Lock all money and financial information in a safe that meets your insurer’s guidelines. Restrict access to the combination and change it often.
8. Secure Workstations.Disconnect and remove computers that are not currently being used. Lock all paperwork in filing cabinets and use a locked box for paperwork waiting to be shredded.
9. Disable Drives.Prevent employees from copying company information by disabling or removing USB ports, floppy drives, or other means of connecting external drives.
10. Protect Your Printers.Modern printers often store documents in their on-board memories. If a printer is stolen or hacked, access to copies of recently printed documents will be granted. Ensure your printer is in a secure location and ensure all extra copies of printed documents are placed in the locked shredding box.
If you're interested in finding out more about about workplace security for your office, talk to one of our Sonitrol consultants about ways you can improve your professional office security.
About Sonitrol Western Canada: We're so confident in our technology and responsive service, that no one else in the industry can match our guarantee.
Our unique verified audio and CCTV video business security solutions enable our operators to hear and see what is happening in your business before the criminals gain entry!! We verify the actual source of the alarm, and we get the police to attend the scene immediately.
FOR A FREE SECURITY AUDIT, click here, or call 1-866-766-4876 - We are a security company with over 150 offices across North America serving clients across Western Canada in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Victoria, Vancouver , Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon. Sonitrol Western Canada, with its Verified Electronic Security Systems, is committed to providing customers with the most comprehensive security protection.