Copper wire, copper pipes, or any other components made of copper, are a growing temptation for metal thieves hoping to take advantage of copper’s high value. Some grades of copper can fetch almost $3 a pound, making construction sites, scrap yards, communications hubs and even hydro poles vulnerable to the threat of theft.
A pallet of copper wiring can be worth $6,000!
It’s an in-demand metal that is often left unsecured, and since stolen copper is difficult to track, thieves continue to target sites that contain this valuable metal.
These recent local news features from Calgary and Saskatoon, highlight the ever growing problem.
While securing every hydro pole, might be a big challenge, we can offer proven security measures that should be taken for every construction site, Hydro sites, Telephone Communication Sites and compounds storing copper.
Implementing security solutions to protect copper and your other goods and materials can dramatically reduce your risk of theft.
"If you have any quantities of copper wire, copper pipes, or other components made of copper, on your construction site, or being held in your warehouse, you need an electronic verified alarm system to protect those valuable assets." Joe Wilson
Here are our essential security recommendations that will help you prevent copper theft:
Install A Verified Security Solution. Verified alarms are one of the most effective security measures you can implement to protect your business from theft. Verified perimeter alarms, such as our SonaVision Live Monitored Video, will prevent thieves from getting away with thousands of dollars worth of copper.
SonaVision is superior to standard, digital recorder-based monitored video and static CCTV cameras because detection is immediate. If the advanced heat and motion detection system is tripped, our expert operators verify the alarm and dispatch the police immediately. They respond quickly and with adequate force to apprehend the would-be thieves.
Other Helpful Tips For Preventing Copper Theft:
The best defense to prevent copper and other valuable metal theft is at the source. Consider these measures to reduce your risk:
- Secure all equipment and scrap metals in locked buildings or in well-lighted areas secured with a 6-foot perimeter fence with barbed wire at the top (as allowed by local regulations) that has locked gates.
- Post "No Trespassing" placards or signs indicating the presence of a surveillance or security system.
- Remove access to buildings and roofs, such as trees, ladders, scaffolding, Dumpsters and accumulated materials such as pallet piles.
- Secure your building access with deadbolts and door and window locks.
- Trim or remove shrubbery or other landscaping that allows criminals to hide from view on your property.
- Increase exterior lighting and protect fixtures (such as AC units) with locked metal cages.
- Mark metals with the company's name using paint, hard-to-remove decals or engraving equipment.
- Make sure someone is present when supplies such as copper wiring or pipes are delivered at a job site so the materials can be immediately secured.
- Don't receive supplies earlier than you need them. The longer copper is onsite and unused, the longer it's at risk of theft.
- Develop a relationship with local law enforcement. Ask for their guidance in preventing metal theft at your business and what to do if a theft occurs.
- Create a master list of all of your equipment and bulk metal (if applicable) and include pictures. Providing the list to your insurance agent and the authorities might help in recovering the items.
- Talk with your insurance agent. Make sure you have adequate insurance to cover metal theft, and be sure to update your agent as your business changes. For example, if your building becomes partially or fully vacant, your coverage may change without you realizing it.
If you're interested in preventing copper theft ... call us about SonaVision as a solution for your copper security requirements, for construction security, locked compounds, warehouses, electrical supply stations, utilities, or any other business that you want to protect with an electronic verified security system that really works!
About Sonitrol Western Canada:
We're so confident in our technology and responsive service, that no one else in the industry can match our guarantee. Our unique verified audio and CCTV video business security solutions enable our operators to hear and see what is happening in your business before the criminals gain entry!! We verify the actual source of the alarm, and we get the police to attend the scene immediately. FOR A FREE SECURITY AUDIT, click here, or call 1-866-766-4876.
We are a security company with over 150 offices across North America. Sonitrol Western Canada services clients in:
Sonitrol Western Canada, with its Verified Electronic Security Systems, is committed to providing customers with the most comprehensive security protection. Cooperation in the elimination of false alarms is not only beneficial to the system’s user, but results in better protection of the entire community by allowing law enforcement to use their resources as efficiently as possible.